Thursday 5 June 2014

Oh brother, where art thou...

Deklan Jasra - wip
A slight left turn at the traffic lights tonight as I decided to attempt one of the characters from my sci-fi story.

So here's Deklan Jasra. Hyperscpace scout, telepathic and single parent to his little sister.
Deklan is rather special to me because he's my first older brother. Every story I write seems to have an older brother looking after a younger sister. I have a fantastic little brother and I love being his older sister and looking out for him while he was still shorter than me ;-) But I guess being the older sibling has created a subconscious longing to have someone older to look out for me.
What can I say, I've always made up and drawn my own fictional friends ;-)

He looks the way he does because when I was watching some of the extras from the Phantom Menace - which quite frankly was the only good thing about that blinking film, my inner Star Wars nerd wept at the horror of episode 1, 2 and 3, let's pretend they don't exist, but I digress - and they shot a temporary version of the submersible scene with stand-in actors for reference purposes. And the guy who was standing in for Obiwan just mesmerized me. It was the actor Mark Warren who some may know from the series 'Hustle'. He's done lots of things. Having been lacking a facial reference for my hyperspace scout he just seemed like the ideal choice.

Work in progress.

Enjoy :-)

2 comments:

  1. Your portraits are always fantastic and I agree, he has such an interesting face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :-) Yes, he has a great face doesn't he. I particularly like his nose and mouth, they're somehow oddly defined. It's so cool.

      Delete